Friday, January 20, 2017

1/20/17- Intro to Art


Today's Class- Today was our first meeting of the semester.  After verifying all in attendance as being officially on the rosters, the syllabus was reviewed.  That was followed by having all the students fill out a brief survey about their artistic experience and interests.  This was shared with everyone in the class, and then I used the same format to provide my background as an artist going back to my student days.

Homework- Nothing yet.  I plan to give the museum assignment next week and the research assignment will probably be worked out in week 3.

For next class 1/27/17- We will begin our study of fine art with the line, one of the most basic types of mark making there is.  I will show slides covering the history of art, works that give examples of how artists have made use of line.  Most of the class period will be spent doing exercises in contour line.  Bring your 18" x 24" drawing pad, a pencil, and eraser.  Our subject will be shoes, a classic starting point for students learning to draw.  I will have some to share, but may not have enough, or you may not like the ones I have, so I recommend bringing in a shoe from home.  Closed shoes work better than sandals or flip flops.  Style doesn't matter.  Another option is to remove one of your own shoes to draw from, but you may prefer to just bring in an extra shoe of some kind.