Friday, April 20, 2018

4/20/18 Intro to Art final edition


Today's Class- Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was not able to make it up to Union today.  The day started out normal enough, up at 5:30 am, out to my car by 7:30 am, which would allow me to get to Kean in time to check e-mails, pull slides, etc.  However, my car was pitched to one side in its parking space, and that's never good. When I got close enough, I could see that one tire was completely flat.  Didn't get a photo of it, but imagine a hubcap resting on a pile of black banana peels.  No photo because I used the time waiting for tire assistance to clear a bunch of stuff out of my car- things for today's class, things for my local woodcut class, snow shovels and other winter tools that I just can't give up yet (we may get below freezing tonight), etc.  Got done just in time to uncover the well that holds my spare and send e-mails to the morning class.  Changing it didn't take long, but those donuts are not meant for high speed or long trips, so my usual 100 mile round trip on the GSP was out.  
That one screw between the treads doesn't look like much, but with the weight of my car on it, a disaster.  Called the office, sent e-mails to my afternoon students, then set out to get some replacement tires.  See, much better.


 


How to make this up- Had a lot of time to think about this, and came up with a new plan.  I've decided to abandon the earlier idea of having us do today's lesson (architecture/perspective drawing) next week, and instead we'll just use the remaining 3 weeks to work on the 3D Final project.

Homework- Nothing new, but some dates may have changed.  For example, the 2D Final (symbolic autobiographical comic strip in pastel) will now be due at the beginning of our next meeting- April 27, 2018.

The second written assignment, the research paper, will still be due on April 27, 2018.  This is to allow students who turn it in on time the opportunity to correct the mistakes and resubmit it for a higher grade.  Turn it in late, you get what you get.

Those who have not yet printed their collograph plate should bring the cardboard plate to class next week.  I'll collect them, bring them to my studio, print them there, and then bring back the plates and prints the following week.


For next class 4/27/18- We will start with a quick class critique of the comic strips, which I will collect, grade, and return the following week.  And if the course evaluation forms are in my mailbox, we'll need to fill those out.

After that, we will start work on the 3D Final.  The subject of your sculpture will be determined by a random drawing thing.  You don't need your 18"x24" pad, unless you want to use it to protect your comic strip.  I do recommend something to write with and a notebook or loose paper to start working out ideas for your last piece.  Materials for that will be discussed in class next week.