Tuesday, October 23, 2007

2D Design Woodcut Book Illustration Project








Today's Class- Today I distributed 8"x6" pieces of plywood (top photo) to the class so that they could begin their woodcut illustration project. I showed some examples of books containing black and white illustration, many of which were relief prints, and discussed the assignment. I also did a demonstration of safe cutting techniques. Students worked out their designs on paper, drew them on the wood, and started cutting them out with their knives.


How to make this up- Until you get the wood, all you can do is work out your design idea on paper. Next week I can provide a piece of wood to students who missed today's class. If you don't want to wait that long, you can provide your own wood. (contact me for wood information)
Meanwhile, you can work on your design. Draw an 8" x 6" rectangle (horizontal or vertical) on paper and complete a design in shapes of black and white that illustrates something from your chosen book. I recommend using your large marker to fill in the black shapes and lines so you get a good idea of how the design would look printed. Look at above examples of student woodcuts, along with those back on the home page, to get an idea of what is possible. Bring it to class next week and I'll show you how to proceed and provide wood cutting tips.




No comments: